Thursday, August 12, 2010

Layered Mexican Chicken Rice Bake

This recipe I actually took from the Relief Society Blog compliments of Kimberly P. and loved it and since that blog is extinct, I thought I would resubmit it because it was very easy and super yummy!


2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium white onion, finely chopped

1 anaheim chili pepper (it’s mild), finely diced

1 1/2 Cups chopped sweet peppers

1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic

4 Cups cooked/steamed rice

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

2 Cups shredded chicken breast

1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt

1/2 teaspoon dry Ranch Dressing Seasoning

1/2 Cup prepared Salsa (I used Herdez, mild)

1 can corn, drained

1 can red kidney beans (or any bean of choice), drained

1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and peppers for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in cooked rice, reduce heat to low. Transfer mixed rice to a 9×13 inch baking dish.

2. Place chicken breast into a medium skillet over medium heat. Season with Lawry’s, ranch seasoning and salsa; mix and reduce heat to low. Pour corn over rice. Next layer the beans, cilantro, chicken and top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.

3. Serve with hot sauce if desired

8 servings


1 comment:

  1. I made this last night. It was very good. Thanks for the recipe. However, I overlooked the part that said 4 cups COOKED rice. So I made 4 cups rice (about 8cups COOKED), so I ended up with a lot of rice. But next time I know.

    ReplyDelete